Monday, July 16, 2007

The Last Day of School

Well Kyle’s last day of school was on Friday and he only had a half day. We started off the day with donuts. Which was a half celebration and a half bribe kind of thing. Kyle had an honors assembly that day where he gets awards for AB honor roll and stuff like that. The note he brought home said he was only getting the AB honor roll award. Ronnie and I hate these honor assemblies because they last for 2 hours and they just hand out awards to almost everyone. They try to give everyone an award instead of just handing out awards to those that really did something special. I’ve never really liked this practice of making everyone feel like a winner, it makes the ones that really tried to go above and beyond feel like why did I even bother and then the ones that did nothing feel like they are entitled to get awarded for doing nothing. I would have to imagine that the school would see higher grades if they stopped giving out awards for complacent behavior and started making the kids that work hard feel really special. I’ll get off my soapbox now and finish the story. We told Kyle he got to go pick out donuts because it was the last day of school and because we were so proud of him for making all A’s and B’s all year, but we didn’t think we were going to be at the assembly. He was fine with that and said he understood how hard it is trying to keep Lana happy for 2 hours while sitting and being quite. We sent Kyle off to school and I actually didn’t feel guilty. We picked Kyle up and asked to see his awards, he received: Perfect Attendance, Exemplary Attendance, and a Certificate for Outstanding Academic Achievement from the President. I guess the President’s Award takes place of the AB honor roll. We are very proud of Kyle and all his achievements. We decided that when we picked him up we should take him out to lunch somewhere of his choice. We let him pick four places he would like to go and then we picked from there. We ended up going to Qdoba where both kids eat like it’s going out of style. Then it was time for Lana to take a nap so we went home. The whole day I had been thinking….isn’t this a great time to get a Wii. It would be something new for Kyle to play with while he was out of school and if we get one now instead of waiting for his birthday or Christmas then it wouldn’t be his. We wouldn’t have any issues of him thinking, it’s mine I get to play now and the other things that come along with ownership like, since it’s mine can I keep it in my room. We put Lana down for a nap and Kyle is off playing with legos in his room and I look at Ronnie and say I want a Wii. He just laughs and says they look pretty cool don’t they. He wasn’t getting it so then I say I want a Wii now like today (like the spoiled person I am). He laughs at me again and then I explain my reasoning for wanting it today and also let him in on some of the ways I had been able to save some money recently. It didn’t take much for him to get on board then we are looking up who has them in stock. No one in Las Vegas had them, but in our many calls we did find out that the Sam’s Club in Bullhead City had 15 of them. Ronnie said it was about an hour away so I said well let’s do it then. Of course we waited until Lana woke up from her nap and then we started out. Kyle reminded us that is was Friday the 13th while we were in the car. Then the next thing you know Ronnie was getting pulled over on the 215 for speeding….lol. He got a ticket for going 70 in a 65 mph zone. So we make it to Bullhead very cautious of our speed in an hour and a half and it took the same amount of time to get back home. You could say it took us a wee bit longer than expected to pick up a Wii. We let the kids stay up until 10:30 playing then Ronnie and I played until midnight. It’s a really fun little toy that gets the whole family involved. We know what the family home evening game will be for like the next year………Wii tennis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.