Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Little Off the Top

Why is it that every child feels the need to cut their own hair at some point in their lives? Its funny how they have no fear of cutting their own hair but when we try to cut their fingernails or toenails it’s the end of the world. Well it was nap time and I had read Lana a story and made sure she had socks on (she cannot sleep with bare feet) and left her alone to take her nap like I always do. She usually spends some time playing with stuffed animals and then falls asleep. I went to check on her and she was putting hair bows on one of her care bears. I could see that the bows were too much fun and she would never fall asleep as long as she had them to play with, so I asked her for the bows so I could put them away. She gave up the bows without a fight and the next time I checked on her she was asleep. All was good until she woke up a few hours later. Her hair is always a mess when she wakes up so I didn’t notice it at first but soon enough I saw it. She had cut her bangs. She actually did a pretty good job, better than some of my attempts at cutting her hair. I then had to ask her why she did it. She said her bangs where too long and kept getting in her eyes when she was sleeping. Her reasoning made perfect sense, but I still had to talk with her about not cutting things and now we keep the scissors on lock down. I know it could have been much worse, I have seen those haircuts. I got very lucky this time; I just hope there isn’t a next time.
Kyle was much older when he gave himself a haircut. What was he thinking?

No comments: