Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Day

Today marks Lana's first April Fool's Day that she will attend at school. I can only imagine the dread on teacher's faces today as they will most likely be the object of many April Fool's jokes. I wanted to start Lana out on the right foot so we found an idea for a nice and really cute joke that wouldn't make anyone feel bad. We made mini burgers out of nilla wafers, peppermint patties, green coconut, and red and yellow icing. Then we made some french fries out of bread stick dough that we rolled in sugar. I got some fry bags from McDonald's to make them look more like french fries.















Kyle came up with a really good idea this year, but it didn't work out. He wanted to wear this old cast he had on his arm a few years back and trick everyone into thinking he broke his arm. We actually have two old casts up in his closet, yes he is a bit of a pack rat. Both were two small to fit on his arm, darn it.

I also came across an idea for dinner tonight, but I don't know yet if I'm really going to carry through with it. It was to make meatloaf into cupcake papers and then ice the "cupcakes with mashed potatoes that have been colored with food dye. I don't know if I could actually find this appetizing enough to eat. I like my food to be separate for one thing. Yes, I know it all ends up in the same place, but I like to enjoy things one at a time. And two, I don't know if I could stomach different colored mashed potatoes. Pink mashed potatoes are one thing. They show up for Valentine's Day every now and then. I just tell myself they are potatoes with a little beet juice in them. And three, I really like the crust that forms on the top of meatloaf from the glaze. I think that would get all soggy with the mashed potatoes sitting on top. We'll see, maybe I'll just do it for the kids and live through it.

"April 1st: This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three-hundred and sixty-four." — Mark Twain

No comments: